Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Sheep In Need Of A Shepherd



I learned something about sheep today.  I have been reading Phillip Keller's book, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23.  He takes this well-known Psalm and helps his reader to see it through a new lens; through the eyes of a shepherd.  Most of us aren't familiar with the nomadic life of a shepherd, leading a flock through a barren land in search of food and water and all that entails.  But people back then had an understanding of that life.  Keller's insights help to give us a better context of what is really trying to be conveyed through this psalm.  

In Psalm 23:2 it says " He makes me lie down in green pastures".  Did you know that sheep won't lie down unless four requirements are met?  They must be
  1. Free of fear
  2. Free of friction within their own flock
  3. Free of parasites or pests
  4. Free of hunger
The only thing that can offer them freedom from these distractions is their owner and caretaker, their shepherd.  

When these needs are not met the flock is restless, discontented, agitated and disturbed.  The same is true for people.  When we are not free of these distractions we are not contented.  We can't lie down and rest. 

Do you find it hard to rest?  Look at the four items listed above and see if you can find the source of your unrest.  Maybe you're afraid of gaining weight?  Maybe you have a strained relationship that causes you to turn to eating behaviors to numb the pain?  Maybe you are fixated on recurring or disagreeable experiences that bug you, but keep you distracted?  Maybe you deny yourself the food your body needs causing you to try and satisfy your gnawing hunger by other means?

Listen to all God, as your Shepherd, does for you as described by Phillip Keller:

"He works to clear the life of rocks of stony unbelief. He attempts to break up the hard proud human heart that is set like sun-dried clay. He then sows the seed of His own precious Word, which, if given half a chance to grow, will produce rich crops of contentment and peace. He waters this with the dews and rain of His own presence by the Holy Spirit. He tends and cares and cultivates the life, longing to see it become rich and green and productive." (page 55)


That is how our God, our Shepherd, works in our lives.  Despite the billions of people on the earth, He carefully and lovingly does this for each one of us, for YOU!  Run to Him.  Cling to Him.  He is waiting for you. 

Let the Words of Psalm 23 wash over you

1  The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
    He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness
    For His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
    You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; 
    And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment